History of St. Francis Church
St. Francis Church in Greensboro was organized in October 1954 as a mission of Holy Trinity Parish. The first service was held at Irving Park Elementary School in November 1954, with 104 people attending. A charter scroll, which is framed and in the narthex, was signed in the Octave of Epiphany in 1955. At that time, 180 baptized people formally transferred their membership to the new mission. Construction of the church building began in July 1955, with the cornerstone lain in October of that year. The first service at our present Lawndale location was held on Christmas Day 1955. St. Francis became an independent parish in union with the Diocese of North Carolina in 1956.
Six rectors have served St. Francis Church over the course of its 65 years. The Assistant Rector of Holy Trinity, the Rev. Peter C. Robinson, became the first rector in 1954 and served for 20 years. Fr. Robinson was succeeded by the Rev. Roland M. Jones, who led St. Francis from 1974 to 1984. The Rev. Frederick J. Warnecke, Jr. served the parish from 1985 to 1999, followed by the Rev. Michael D. Schnatterly (2001–2004). After a couple of years of transition, the Rev. Michael M. Moulden was called in 2007 and served as rector until 2015, when the current rector, the Very Rev. Milton C. Williams, Jr., was called, first as interim, and then, as rector.